6 Irresistible Reasons to Volunteer for FixNation
Make a difference in your community and help homeless cats!
Love cats? Want to make a difference in the lives of felines in Los Angeles? Consider volunteering for FixNation, an award-winning nonprofit and the nation’s only organization that provides FREE spay/neutering services for feral, stray and homeless cats.
Whether you pitch in at FixNation’s Van Nuys facility, assist with our monthly Catnippers clinics, help with administrative work or community education and outreach, or plan or staff special events, you can make a positive and lasting impact on the lives of vulnerable and at-risk animals. Here are 6 more great reasons to lend a helping hand:
- Be a part of the solution. As a FixNation volunteer for FixNation, you’ll join a network of hundreds of dedicated people working to make Los Angeles a safer and more humane place for cats. We spay and neuter as many as 100 homeless cats a day, but there are tens of thousands more on the streets in urgent need of care, support and love. Our goal is to improve the quality of life for all feral, stray and homeless cats in our community, by managing colonies, working with community caregivers, and preventing as many unwanted pregnancies and unnecessary deaths as possible.
- Make the most of your unique talents. Maybe you’re a creative type, or a whiz at public speaking, or have a knack for calming frightened kitties. Whatever your talent, we’ll make good use of it! Between jobs? Retired or semi-retired? Transitioning back into the workforce? Employers and college admissions officers look favorably on time spent doing volunteer work. And who knows? You might even develop new skills, be inspired to change careers or go back to school to fulfill your dreams.
- Make new friends. Volunteering provides many opportunities to widen your social circle and meet compassionate people (cat people!) who share your passion for doing good and helping animals.
- Improve your health and well-being. Research has found that donating money makes people feel happier for a week, but donating time extends that happy feeling far longer. Volunteering has also been shown to have numerous health benefits, such as reducing stress and anxiety and boosting the immune system.
- Become an advocate for animals. Many people assume that the homeless cats they see are wild, diseased and infested with fleas. Not true! In fact, a number of homeless cats were once cherished pets that strayed and became lost, or had guardians who could no longer afford to care for them. Others are ferals that have never known life as a housecat but are perfectly healthy. Help us spread the word that these cats deserve to be treated with compassion and respect, just as all living creatures do.
- Have fun! FixNation is known for hosting and/or participating in innovative and entertaining special events, such as CatConLA, Whiskers in the Moonlight, Day of the Dead at Hollywood Forever, Architects for Animals, and more. These popular events require lots of volunteers and lots of work to plan and execute, but they are an absolute blast and crucially important for raising awareness and much-needed funding.